On the front lines of education is Mrs. Melissa Holtz. She likes to celebrate her birthday on April 3rd. Joining her in her family is her husband, Dan, son, Austin (senior this year), and daughter, Sara, (sophomore). Also included in their family are their 2 dogs, Champion (teddy bear breed) and Chipper (cocker bear breed).
She received her BA in Elementary Education from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, MA in Special Education from St. Ambrose University and MED in Administration from St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. She is in her 18th year in education. She taught K-6th grade special education for 5 years, then 6th grade for 8 years and now she is in her 4th year in administration. As a 6th grade teacher she taught math to all sections, and ELA and science...her favorite subject is math!! She believes her students would be amazed to find out that she was a missionary during high school. Her family and her were church strengtheners in Butte, MT during her sophomore and junior year of high school.
Her favorite thing to do for entertainment is that she simply LOVES watching her kids play sports, reading a good book, or getting lost in a sea of good shows on Netflix!
Some of her favorites are:
- The color blue because it is calming and she loves her Kentucky Wildcats.
- Food is give her all the Mexican food there is!!
- Book is the biggest plot twist of all time: "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes" by Diane Chamberlain.
- Movie is "The Princess Bride!!"
- Song is "Who You Are to Me" by Chris Tomlin and Lady A but she also loves "Though You Slay Me" by Shane and Shane.
- Sport is basketball to watch because she can't move that quickly anymore!
- Sport teams are the Kentucky Wildcats and the Atlanta Braves.
Her greatest thing about working in education is working with kids, especially watching them "get" a skill or concept that they have been working on for a while and seeing the joy on their faces when it all finally connects!!
Mrs. Holtz, thank you for all that you do!